Friday, February 6, 2009

Peanut Butter: or, Breakup Tips with Plastic



Plastic. Love it? Hate it? Indifferent? Even though I have to admit that we're not on a speaking basis right now, plastic and I have had a good relationship in the past. It's light, can be used for a variety of applications, and is (relatively) sturdy. The problem with plastic is that it just wouldn't go away. Whenever I wanted to be alone, plastic decided to tag along. I mean, can't plastic have its friends and I have my own? The relationship was getting a bit stressed.

Like any good ex-, I now indulge in an elaborate dance to avoid awkward meetings with plastic on the street. One way I get out of her routine path is to make some of my own consumables from bulk foods, the most notable (and easiest) being peanut butter. It ain't rocket science, folks. Just take a fair amount of peanuts, throw them in a food processor (I use a Magic Bullet), add salt and sugar to taste, and puree to your heart's content. It can sometimes help to add a little canola oil to, uhum, lubricate the situation with your new companion, but before you know it you'll be having meaningful relationships with all sorts of alternative packaging materials that are sexier and smarter to boot. There's nothing better than talking for hours with a reused glass jar about your shared convictions of thriftiness and environmental responsibility. Oh, and peanut butter.

No comments: